Monday 30 June 2014

Film Review: The Fault in Our Stars



The Fault in Our Stars

Released: 19th June 2014
Running time: 126 minutes
Director: Josh Boone
Cast: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Nat Wolff

Plot summary (from IMDB):
Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.
 
My review:
I was both excited and nervous when I found out The Fault in Our Stars was being adapted into a film. Yes, I adored the book, but film adaptations so rarely compare to their source material. And this book felt particularly precious for some reason. After seeing the film, I can honestly say that I had no need for nerves. It was pretty much perfect.

What was great about the film was that for large parts of it, I forgot about the book. I was so wrapped up in the characters on screen that I wasn't cross-checking every line and scene for how book-faithful it was. I was just so lost in what was a brilliantly entertaining, funny, sad and moving film. I think that'll be great for cinema goers who haven't read the book, because it does hold its own.

The casting was phenomenal, especially Ansel Elgort as Gus. He was just so charasmatic and funny, and got Gus' humour spot on. He was easily the best thing about the film for me. Shailene Woodley as Hazel was brilliant too, particularly during the more heart-wrenching scenes. Her performance is some of those key moments really blew me away. Even though Nat Wolff's Isaac played a smaller part than the book, he still completely stole those scenes he was in.

As for fans of the book, it's an amazing adaptation. There were so many scenes that looked like they were plucked right out of my head. I had to go away and reflect on how I thought it compared to the book because I thought about it so little during the actual film. I don't think I've seen a film that came so close. I adored the scenes in Amsterdam, especially the moments in the Anne Frank house and the scenes in the hotel. I love the cameo of the swing set, and Gus and Hazel's Dutch themed picnic, the inclusion of some all-important quotes. There was so much attention to detail.

Most importantly, the book managed to get the humour bang on. Whilst so many people talk about both the book and film being sad, my favourite thing about the book has always been the humour and how it made me laugh. And the film did the same. Before the cinema broke down into a collective sob fest (I've seriously never been in a room with so many crying people before!) there were plenty of laughs.

So basically I loved it.

Rating: 5*

1 comment:

  1. I'm really looking forward to what Woodley and Elgort's future roles!

    I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Find the information here: http://never-anyone-else.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...