Tuesday 4 February 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Will Make You Cry

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish and this week is all about the tearjerkers! Now I have a confession to make and that is that I don't really cry at books. Not because I don't feel anything or they don't move me, but I just don't physically cry. It's the same with films and TV shows. I think I'm just too self-conscious! Anyway, there are still some books that have me tearing up and that break my heart and leave me shaken which as close as it gets. These are some of them.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I had to include this, but I think people write it off because of the subject matter and the fact it;s a sad book. Whilst it is in places, I probably laughed just as much as I got teary with this book.


Looking for Alaska by John Green
This is one of those books where I just wasn't prepared for the heartbreak and it hit me like a tonne of bricks when it finally arrived.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
All those lost lives, all that fighting, and that Epilogue! Gah my poor little heart.


Undone by Cat Clarke
Cat Clarke writes pretty powerful, gritty stuff and I'd been warned about this one before I started it. And that warning was much appreciated!


Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
I can't find words to describe how moving these books are. You just need to read them and find out.



Falling Through the World by Rachel Clarke
This is more of a personal one for me, because I related so closely to it. It's about a girl with M.E, an illness I myself live with. Not everyone may well up at this book, but it really struck close to home with me.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
This book just blew me away and as it builds to its conclusion, the emotion really starts to kick in!


If I Stay by Gayle Forman
I just saw the cover for this has a quote that says "read it and weep" on the front. Sounds about right!


The Girl Next Door by Selene Castrovilla
Like The Fault in Our Stars, this had a really good balance of uplifting moments to sad ones, so it's an all round moving read.

What books have you reaching for the tissues, or at least feeling a bit choked up? Let me know in the comments!





6 comments:

  1. I didn't mention any of the books that you chose Sarah but after I saw Deathly Hallows I basicly slapped myself in the head thinking 'how in the world did I forget about this one'. The whole Dobby moment is what made my tears flow :'(
    Here's my TTT
    http://moniquesmobooks.blogspot.ca/2014/02/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-will-make.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read most of these and cried at them all too. Especially The Fault in Our Stars! I'm going to be re-reading it next month and I can't wait.
    Undone too! That was so unexpected! Gah!

    Great list, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Fault In Our Stars, I'm pretty sure I cried through half of the book. I actually cried at Mockingjay though!
    Eden from edenroses xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. TFiOS, Looking for Alaska & DH are on a lot of lists today. I haven't read Looking for Alaska yet, but the other two destroyed me. I'll need to get around to finishing Code Name Verity soon. I was enjoying it, but then I wasn't in the mood to read it. All of the others are on my to-read list and I think I'll have to move Before I Fall up my TBR list after today.
    Great list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't cry at Looking for Alaska, although I did at 'If I stay'. I loved that book and it gave me a whole new perspective on life. The other books that made me cry to no end was 'Clockwork Princess' by Cassandra Clare and Vain by Fisher Amelie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really cry at books either. I've got Looking for Alaska and the Cat Clarke on my to-read shelves though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...