Monday 11 June 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins




The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Author: Suzanne Collins. Website, Goodreads
Published: 10 October 2009 (Scholastic)
Pages: 464
Buy: Amazon, Kindle, Waterstone's

Plot Summary: (from Goodreads)
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
My Review:
Haven't read a book this fast in a long time, I just couldn't put it down! This story takes place in Panem, a dystopian America where each year twelve districts must enter a boy and girl to take part in the annual Hunger Games. It's a pretty brutal concept - only one person can win and it's a fight to the death; kill or be killed.

The book is narrated by Katniss, who has to support her mother and younger sister after the death of her father. She's learnt how to live and adapt in the controlled society she lives in but she's now faced with a tougher challenge than ever before. I know not everyone warms to Katniss as a lead character but I found her to be fascinating. She's intelligent, strong and knows how to get what she wants, and underneath she's incredibly protective of those she cares about.

There's a lot of action in this book and it's very intense given the subject matter, and once you start it's impossible to stop reading. I found myself saying "just one more chapter" every time I came to put it down.

Totally gripping and faced paced without feeling rushed, never a lull in the action. Wonderful characters and such a brilliantly created albeit disturbing world. A must read I'd say, thought provoking and action packed.

Rating: 5*
What to read next: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy.
Books like this: Divergent by Veronica Roth, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K Rowling

3 comments:

  1. I just finished the last book in the trilogy yesterday. This book is my favorite of the three.

    "I know not everyone warms to Katniss as a lead character but I found her to be fascinating. She's intelligent, strong and knows how to get what she wants, and underneath she's incredibly protective of those she cares about"

    --I'm wondering what you'll think of Katniss by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished The Hunger Games yesterday and thought it was a fantastic book. Have you seen the film? How did you think it compared?

    I'm half way through Catching Fire at the moment and have Mockingjay lined up to read next :)

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the film! I loved it - thought it was a really faithful adaption :) I was really impressed by the casting, too. The actors did a great job! Did you see the film? So glad you've managed to read the book! It's amazing isn't it? Enjoy Catching Fire. I think that was my favourite book of the trilogy :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...