Wednesday 13 June 2012

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green


An Abundance of Katherines by John Green


Author: John Green. Website, Twitter.
Published: 16 October 2008 (Speak)
Pages: 227
Buy: Amazon, Audio Book, Waterstone's

Plot Summary:
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washedup child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun–but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

My Review:
For about two thirds of this book I wasn't exactly sure what I thought of it. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't really gripped either, but I was curious enough about the story to carry on and find it interesting.

What I like about John Green is his characters. He has a way of making them quirky and unique, but in a way that his readership, who embrace the geeky, can totally relate too. His characters aren't outcasts because of their quirks as so many authors would make them.

By the last third of this book I'd gotten into it a lot more, and realised that the relaxed nature of the story was actually a good way to make it more focused on the characters, who I loved. Throughout the book there was information I wanted to know that I feared would never be revealed, but the end of the book gave me what I was looking for and made for a satisfying ending. I really love the writing style and look forward to reading more by this author.

Rating: 4*
What to read next: Paper Towns by John Green.
Books like this: 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson.

Related News: John Green reveals new Nerdfighter designed cover for An Abundance of Katherines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...